Danny Welbeck: My Manchester United goals against Basle don't mean much now

Danny Welbeck scores against Basle
Danny Welbeck should have been the toast of Old Trafford. The Mancunian should have been revelling in his new European fame.

But the Longsight-born hitman admits Uniteds 3-3 draw against Basle in the Champions League left him totally deflated.

The 20-year-old had been the first home-produced Manc striker to score in Europe for the Reds since Brian Kidd in the 1960s when he opened Uniteds scoring against the Swiss champions in Group C on Tuesday.

His second at Old Trafford meant he was the first Manchester-born centre-forward to come through the Reds ranks and score twice in Europe since Dennis Viollet in 1957.

But Basles amazing fight- back, courtesy of Uniteds cavalier defending, meant they needed a last-gasp face-saving goal from Ashley Young to secure a draw. And the astonishing collapse snatched the United headlines that Welbeck had secured for himself.

It was a bitter-sweet moment for me. To get two Champions League goals was great and I was buzzing about that, but we didnt get the win we should have done, Welbeck told MEN Sport. I am never happy if we are not winning. It is good to get goals but it is quite depressing if we dont win. My goals dont mean much now.

I just ended up disappointed because it is a team game and it is all about winning.

Welbeck revealed Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson had warned his side when they were 2-0 up at the interval that their destiny was in their own hands.

The manager said at half-time that it was going to be as easy as you make it or as hard as you make it. Unfortunately, we made it hard for ourselves. He warned us but we didnt take it on board, added Welbeck.

Throwing away a two-goal lead just isnt like us. A lot of carelessness crept in. We gave a! way a fe w sloppy goals and it left us chasing the game.

Credit

Credit to Basel, they did well but we made life hard for ourselves and you cant afford to do that in the Champions League. We need to get back on the training pitch and put things right. We have to learn not to be careless and to carry on playing the game the way we started because we threw it away.

Its not like Manchester United to give three goals away at Old Trafford like that so you could say its a wake-up call.

There was some carelessness creeping in so we need to correct that. I wouldnt say it was over confidence because even in the first half Basle created a few chances early on. We just need to get back on the training ground and get our defensive mentality right.

We cannot afford any more slip ups. People were saying it looked an easy group but we always knew no match would be easy. With it being Manchester United, other teams would be stepping up their game, which Basle showed here.

We need three points in the next match against Otelul Galati to get us up and running.

Welbeck missed the entire Champions League run to Wembley last season as he was adding to his education at Sunderland.

But his stint on Wearside has seen him grow in stature.

I think Im a better person really because I went to Sunderland and got more minutes in the Premier League, Welbeck said.

It was really good for my career and Im just really pleased at the moment.

Naturally Ive been growing, Im still only 20 years old, Im 21 in a couple of months so Im just naturally developing into a man.

The manager shows time and time again he will give local players a chance and it is then up to the individual to take it. I hope I can.

I dont know whether it is harder for local boys up front to make it. I can only look at myself and take my opportunities when they come.

I hope I have done enough! to play against Norwich on Saturday.

We have some great strikers at the club and whoever is in there will give it 100 per cent. I just hope I get my opportunities.

Who should start up front against Norwich? Have your say.
Tweet

Comments