Michael Owen: Manchester Uniteds dieticians keep me goal-hungry

Michael Owen scored twice on his first appearance of the season at Leeds

Michael Owen has paid tribute to Uniteds backroom staff for keeping him tuned up to take advantage of his rare chances.

Over the last two years the 31-year-old striker has scored 11 goals in his 12 starts.

The latest came with his two strikes in the 3-0 win over Leeds at Elland Road on Tuesday in the Carling Cup.

Owen has benefited from the dietary guidance of the Reds sports science department as he plays the waiting game in the wings.

Physically, you have to prepare for any opportunity you get as well as mentally, said Owen.

That is hard because you are in match-day squads all the time, so you prepare with the team, eat the same, do the same things they do but when you dont play you dont use the energy. You are probably getting more days off but putting more energy food in your system and it is a bit of a vicious circle.

After doing that five or six times you dont exactly put on weight but you have to be careful. Your body hasnt played 90 minutes though you are preparing it all the time to do that.

Fresh

There is more to it than people thinking well he is fresh and should score a hat-trick.

It is tough and it is also a challenge for the staff at United. It is a test for the medical people and the sports science people to get the balance right. They have to manage it to ensure when your chance does come along your body is ready for it.

Owens record suggests they are getting it right.

But mentally the former England hitman admits not being a regular adds to the pressure.

I still feel I have to prove myself every time I play, he said. If I was playing every week, ! you coul d afford a bad game here or there because you can always score one in the next game and nobody will remember your bad games.

The Leeds game was my first match of the season and if I didnt play well I would have a long time to stew on it and people would have a long time to criticise me. It puts the pressure on me.

I have had some massive games in my career but you almost feel yourself getting nervous more these days because, as I say, it has been a while since I started.

I am not content if I am not playing I dont want anybody to think that. I get criticised a lot by people who say I dont play but I pick my money up. I am not proud of that fact. I want to play all the time.

I am doing a lot of training and putting in a lot of hard work people dont see. I dont feel my touch will go or anything like that. But anybody can have a bad game even the best players in the world.

Pressure

That negative thought in the back of your mind is definitely there going into games because you know you cannot put things right in three or four days time like most other players who play all the time.

The pressure is on and thankfully, every time I have started I have managed to quieten people before they chirp up.

Meanwhile, Owen has revealed Dimitar Berbatov fancies himself as a Franz Beckenbauer-style sweeper.

Berbatov turned in an eye-catching performance on his first start for United this season, however, the Bulgarians contribution to Uniteds win over Leeds at Elland Road did not come in a manner fans are used to.

In the opening minutes, Berbatov twice cleared off the line, helping to provide the platform from which the visitors attacked with venom.

Then, at the end, Berbatov stepped into the central defensive role vacated by cramp-affected debutant Ezekiel Fryers for the final 10 minutes.

And how well Berbatov did too, as United k! ept thei r third clean sheet of the season.

Berba can play there, smiled Owen. He does it occasionally in training. It was no surprise when he put his hand up and said he would do it.


Tweet

Comments