Special report: Former Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson on life at Everton

Darron Gibson
Darron Gibson reckons David Moyes could give Sir Alex Ferguson a run for his money when it comes to the hairdryer treatment. Everton manager Moyes is one of a select group of contenders tipped to be in the running to succeed Ferguson when the United boss eventually retires.

Even Ferguson has singled out his fellow Scot as one of the outstanding managers in the modern game following his achievements on a shoestring budget at Goodison Park.

It has led to Moyes being grouped with the biggest names in football, alongside Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, as a potential successor at United.

On Sunday he takes his Everton side to Old Trafford on the back of an FA Cup semi-final defeat to Liverpool last weekend, with the chance to put a dent in Uniteds challenge for a record 20th title, as well as further enhancing his own reputation.

Gibson, who left United for Goodison in a 500,000 move in January, believes there are few similarities between his old and new managers.

But he revealed Moyes has a fearsome streak that more than compares to Fergusons famous hairdryer treatment

The ferocity of Fergies rages during his 25 year reign at United have become the stuff of legend among players old and new.

And if Moyes is the man to fill his boots in the future, he will clearly have no problem at all in ruling with an iron fist.

Gibson said: The only real similarity is they are both Scottish and sound the same - and you wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of either of them!

David Moyes has shouted at me a few times to run a bit harder in training.

Sometimes I do need a kick up the backside. It is just the way I am. Im not saying I dont work hard, but when he shouts run faster', I run faster.

He ha! snt pers onally been on my case but has certainly had a few words about how he wants me to play.

Manchester United named the most valuable sports team in the world

Ryan Giggs can play until he's 42, says Gary Neville

Moyes continues to punch above his weight at cash-strapped Everton - leading them to a Champions League finish, an FA Cup final and semi-final since joining from Preston in 2002.

But even at the age of 70, Ferguson insists he has no plans to end his incredible Old Traffford reign just yet.

He is on the verge of his 13th title since taking over at United in 1986 and Sir Bobby Charlton believes he remains peerless in the game.

Theres been so much said about Alex - especially this season, with him passing his 25th anniversary with the club - that its hard to add anything new, said the United and England legend.

Hes just marvelous, and the way he lifts everyone around him is incredible.

So much credit has to go to Alex and his coaches for having United involved in the title race again this season.

At the start of every campaign you want to avoid injuries and suspensions, and United have had such incredible misfortune with injuries its staggering to be in the position were in.

Ferguson is currently building what he hopes will be his next great team with Phil Jones, Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck part of his latest generation.

There was no room for Gibson in those plans after the Ireland midfielder failed to establish himself in the first team.

A proposed move to Sunderland failed t! o materi alise last summer but he headed to Everton during the January transfer window and has become a key part of Moyes side.
And the 24-year-old has no regrets about ending his time at United.

The football here is a lot different than it was at United, he said. I was shocked at how hard we worked and it took me a few games to get used to it. But I think I have settled in well and Im enjoying it.

As a footballer you want to play and when it came down to it, I wasnt playing as much as I would have liked.

That meant I had to move. Some people would say I failed at United and towards the end, I wasnt playing my best.

So Ive come here to start showing people how good a player I am. I wouldnt say I failed, Id say I never got the chance I wanted.

It is nice to know youre in with a more-than-likely chance of playing every week, rather than not. I am just enjoying it and Im in a better mood now, I know that.

Its surprised me how well its gone because I wasnt sure.

I wasnt sure what to expect but Im really enjoying my football. It is a great club.

What do you think? Have your say.
Tweet

Comments