Berbatov: Great quality doesnt require much effort

Berbatov: Great quality doesnt require much effort

Though he led the Premier League (along with Carlos Tevez) with 20 goals last season, Dimitar Berbatov is often accused of being lazy on the pitch and even lost his spot in the starting XI to Chicharito by the end of the season. But in an excellent interview with the Manchester Evening News' Simon Stone, our dear friend The Berba clears up some common misconceptions about himself while also sharing some life lessons along the way. Here are some choice excerpts, along with added commentary from...The Continental.

Q: Dimitar, I have spoken to you before about your charity work. Do you have wider responsibility for Bulgarian football because you are an icon in your country?

A: I am not an icon. I just try to use my status and popularity back home to do some stuff for good causes. For instance, I have my charitable Foundation, which supports talented kids. Obviously there are a lot of Foundations that support people with problems but I decided to support the talented kids because nobody is doing anything for them. I try to help as much as I can.

"Yes, I am not an icon. I am a sex symbol. There is a difference. As for my foundation, there is a sign on the door that says, 'No people with problems allowed. This is a place for the always ignored people with talent. Particularly women between the ages of 18 and 22 with physical talents. Ha-HA!' It is a big sign."

Q : You are the embodiment of what they [the kids] want to be. You have achieved these things.

A: I hope so. I hope they see me as a successful person and say to themselves 'ok, one day I want to be like him'. Maybe not a football player but a swimmer or an actor. I want them to achieve something in life. If they use me as a role model that is a good thing.

"There are many Berbas that children can strive to be. Not only is there Swimming Berba and Acting Berba, but there is also Kayaking Berba, Peeping Berba and Andy Garcia Impersonator Berba."

Q: You scored a hat-trick against Liverpool, the first time anyone had done it for 64 years. What did that mean to you?

A: You didn't see that one coming, eh? It was a good game for me obviously. I didn't know scoring three goals against Liverpool would mean so much to so many people. It was just a game for me. Even if it had finished 1-0 and I had scored the goal, it would have been fine. Obviously three goals - and the second one was a bit special - it will stay in my memory for ever. When they see me, people always ask about that day and that goal. It is nice.

"And then they realize I'm not wearing any clothes and I say, 'You didn't see that one coming, eh?' Ha-HA!"

Q: Some people look at their style and reach conclusions, other people look at your style and reach conclusions and say you don't care enough. Does that bother you?

A: Yes. You are not going to see me puffing around the pitch. There is a saying in Bulgaria that great quality doesn't require much effort.

"This saying is true for everything. Including sex. You are not going to see me puffing around during that, either."

Q: How would you like to be remembered by the Manchester United supporters?

A: As a good player, trying to do good things on the pitch. Just doing things the fans enjoyed. I always tend to think my goals are beautiful goals. Th! at is wh at I want to score; beautiful goals, and create beautiful chances for my team-mates. The things that every player will tell you if they ask you that question.

Q: But not every player does say that. Not every player says they want to do beautiful things.

A: Every player is different probably. Like I told you, you are not going to see me puffing around the pitch.

"Beauty is the most important thing. Number two is mayonnaise."

Q: That drive is still there in your mind? People don't associate you with fierce determination.

A: I am a very proud person. I don't like to show my weaknesses in public. I don't want to show my emotions in public. That is why people probably sometimes misjudge me. But that is ok.

Q: It is misjudgement of your character?

A: Yes.

"I don't like to show my emotions in public because my widow's peak should tell everyone all they need to know about what it feels like to be The Berba. And to avoid any further misjudgments, I will tell you that it feels quite beautiful. Ha-HA!"

Photo: AP


Comments