DT Exclusive: Robin van Persies Arsenal captaincy interview

DT Exclusive: Robin van Persies Arsenal captaincy interview

With Cesc Fabregas now gone, Arsene Wenger had to name a new Arsenal captain. He ended up settling on Robin van Persie. The following is a transcript of how he reached that decision.

Wenger: Robin, have a seat. We need a leader who can replace Cesc in every way. I think you can be that leader. But first, you must answer several questions for me.

RVP: OK. Go ahead, boss.

Wenger: First, Cesc only started 61 percent of our league matches over the last three seasons. Mostly because of injuries. Can you match that?

RVP: I think I just hurt myself sitting down.

Wenger: Good, good. Now, as captain, Cesc set a high standard of winning zero trophies. Do you think you can achieve the same?

RVP: Do Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool still exist?

Wenger: Yes.

RVP: Then yeah, I can match that.

Wenger: With Cesc, Eboue and Denilson all gone and Nasri and Bendtner likely to follow, do you feel our chances of success have gone down?

RVP: Hahahaha Bendtner.

Wenger: If someone calls you on the telephone late at night, will you listen to them cry?

RVP: Yeah, of course.

Wenger: And finally, how do you feel about Barcelona?

RVP: They're a f***ing joke!

Wenger: Good! Good. Congratulations, Ro! bin. You are the new captain.

RVP: Thank you, boss! This is such an honor! Now, here's my transfer request. My Feyenoord DNA demands it.

Photo: Reuters


Comments