Cops pulled over Foster to congratulate him on Carling Cup

When a footballer gets pulled over by the police, it usually means he's in for a driving ban and a pun-filled dressing down from the tabloids. But when Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster was stopped by the cops after being named Man of the Match in his side's win over Arsenal for the Carling Cup, it turned out to be rather pleasant.

From the Sunday Mercury:

"I actually got stopped by the police," he recalls. "I saw these flashing blue lights in my mirror and thought 'oh no . . . ', I was getting done for something.

"I was a bit nervous, I didn't know what was happening.

"But they just pulled me over and took a couple of minutes to say 'well done' - that's all they wanted to do!

"They were Birmingham fans and it was really nice that they had such kind words to say.

"I had just left the training ground in my car - winning the Carling Cup to being pulled over - give me a break! But I didn't need to worry."

As nice as that is, it does set a dangerous precedent. Now, every time a footballer is pulled over after driving 120 mph through a dairy farm, they'll think it's just because the lovely policemen want to congratulate them on being so great at football.

Photo: Getty Images


Comments