When a student was one of final 12 candidates for Fulham manager

In February, we looked back on the hilarious application letter a Football Manager player sent to Middlesbrough in an effort to fill their vacant manager position in 2006 and the even funnier response he got from club chairman Steve Gibson. Well, it turns out that wasn't even close to the first time a gamer applied for a real-life manager's post.

Three years earlier, a college student with vast experience in Championship Manager named David Matheison "applied for any job in the football league that became available." By his count, he sent 38 letters to 32 clubs over the course of a year including Fulham, Aston Villa, Everton, Spurs, Leeds (twice). And he didn't limit himself to non-fictional clubs, either. He also applied for the manager's job at the fictional Harchester United from Sky One's long-running and supremely ridiculous Dream Team series. Plus the Republic of Ireland job after Mick McCarthy resigned. And, just to shoot for the stars, he applied for the position of the FA's Chief Executive. Because at that that point, why not?

David was kind enough to share his correspondences with Dirty Tackle and of the clubs he got written responses from (and there were more than a few), the following are easily my two favorites. First, David's letter to Fulham before Jean Tigana was even sacked in April 2003 and would go on to take the club to court and win2 million for wrongful dismissal...

27 March 2003


Mohamed Al Fayed

Rangers Stadium

South Africa Road

London

W12 7PA

Dear Mr. Al Fayed,

I wish to apply for the post of Manager, when current manager Jean Tigana leaves at the end of the season.

I have enclosed my curriculum vitae in support of my application.

I am currently a first year student at the Isle of Man College, studying a National Diploma in Computing, lasting 2 years. I qualified for the course by gaining the necessary four grade Cs or above in my G.C.S.E. Examinations.

I have been in the game since I was ten years old, playing for local club Douglas High School Old Boys until 1999, then leaving for Union Mills in pursuit for more trophies.

Having pushed Fulham up into the European positions on many football management simulation games, including the most recent Championship Manager, and indeed to European Glory and world recognition, I believe I have what it takes to get the trophies the fans have been craving for.

If there is to be a revampment of the backroom staff, I have a group of able and experienced associates who are very willing to join me.

Fulham is a big club, with such a good fan base, and players with undoubted ability such as Edwin Van Der Sar, Sean Davis and Steed Malbranque, to name but a few, I feel this club should be in Europe.

With my enthusiasm and experience, I believe I can bring good times to Loftus Road. I am ready to quit my course at the College and leave for Fulham.

I can arrange to be available for an interview at any time convenient to you.

Yours sincerely,

David Mathieson

And Fulham's response:

Of course, there could have only been 10 other candidates in total besides David, but how many college students can! say the y were officially among the final 12 candidates for a Premiership manager's position?

The other fantastic exchange David had was a with the production company of the fictional Harchester United. Again, here's David's letter first:

10 March 2003


Dream Team Fan Mail

Hewland International Limited

Spring House

10 Spring Place

Kentish Town

London

NW5 3BH

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to apply for the post of Manager, which was recently vacated by Patrick Doyle.

I have enclosed my curriculum vitae in support of my application.

I am currently a second year student at the Isle of Man College, studying a National Diploma in Computing, lasting 2 years. I qualified for the course by gaining the necessary four grade Cs or above in my G.C.S.E. Examinations.

I have been in the game since I was ten years old, playing for local club Douglas High School Old Boys until 1999, then leaving for Union Mills in pursuit for more trophies.

Stuart Naysmith is a great coach, and still a good player, but I feel I am more experienced than him, and we need his expertise on the pitch. As a Dragons fan myself, I too know the pain you and the club are both going through. I believe I can rally the team together, and end the season on a high. We will stay up and win the F.A. Cup, allowing us back into Europe where we belong.

If there is to be a revampment of the backroom staff, I have a group of able and experienced associates who are very willing to join me.

Harchester is a massive club, with such a good fan base, stadium, and players with undoubted ability such as Curtis Alexander, Marcel Sabatier and Karl Fletcher to name but a few, I feel this club should be challenging at the top.

With my enthusiasm and experience, I believe I can bring the good times back to The Dragons Lair. I am ready to quit my course at the College and leave for Harchester.

I can arrange to be available for an interview at any time convenient to you.

Yours sincerely,

David Mathieson

Note how the letter is addressed to "Dream Team Fan Mail" and is written as if the club were perfectly real. You'd think whoever received it would discard it as the ramblings of a loon, but it actually got a legitimate response:

Brilliant.

Here's the full list of clubs and organizations David queried:

Oldham Athletic
Cambridge United
Derby County
Walsall
Aston Villa
Everton
Coventry City
Preston North End
Brigton & Hove Albion
Wimbledon
Lincoln City
Rochdale
Stoke City (twice)
Brentford
Leeds United (twice)
Sunderland (twice)
Ipswich Town
Sheffield Wednesday
Barnsley
Mansfield Town
Exeter City
Northampton Town (twice)
Southend United
Fulham
Huddersfield Town
Tottenham Hotspur
Carlisle United
Leyton Orient
Reading
Stockport County
Tranmere Rovers
Wycombe Wanderers

Republic of Ireland
FA Chief Executive
Harchester United (Dream Team)

Photo: Getty Images


Comments