Gyan says Luis Suarez is still the most hated man in Ghana

Sunderland host Liverpool on Sunday which means Luis Suarez will visit two of the men whose World Cup dreams he swatted away with his heroic/evil deliberate goal-line handball in Uruguay's quarterfinal win over Ghana last summer. John Mensah and Asamoah Gyan (a.k.a. Baby Jet), who missed the penalty awarded as a result of Suarez's handball, surely won't enjoy having to face those terrible memories of South Africa again. But, as Gyan says, he gets it and he's totally over it. His countrymen, however, still think Suarez is the devil's life coach.

From the Telegraph:

"He is not popular in Ghana," said Gyan. "He is the most hated person in Ghana. I really am sorry to say it, because I am a good sportsman and I understand why he did it, but will the fans understand what happened? Not really, and for that he is the most hated person in Ghana.

"He is a hero now in his country, even if he is not in ours. I would have done the same thing that he did, honestly, if I was in the same position, because they needed to qualify. We did too, and you have to do what it takes.

"It was cheating, of course, because [such an act] does not exist in the rules, but as a sportsman I know it is one of those things that we know has to happen. He is a good player, a very good player, and what happened in the World Cup is past now.

"I will shake his hand! , no pro blem. We were not happy, but it is one of those things. I will speak to him he is not a friend of mine, but if he wants to speak to me, I will speak to him."

...and then I will slap him in his stupid, ugly face. I really am sorry to say it, because I am a good sportsman and I understand why he did it, but I will slap him in his stupid, unfathomably ugly face.

Photo: Getty Images


Comments