Ranieri put on his headphones, got in his Smart Car and left Roma

Roma suffered their fourth straight loss after going up 3-0 against Genoa on Sunday on to lose 4-3. This prompted manager Claudio Ranieri to resign effective immediately as fans got angrier.

On Monday, Ranieri issued his final thanks and goodbyes, then climbed into his tiny white car, put on his hands-free headset and drove off into the overcast sunset with a big smile on his face.

Here's what he said (via Football Italia):

I hope that Vincenzo Montella and my lads can keep the Roma flag flying high, always and everywhere, Ranieri noted this evening.

In these hours, many people have sent messages of faith and support to me, people from the footballing world and non.

I thank everyone, in particular President Rosella Sensi for her kind words and for the opportunity to Coach the team of my heart.

I once again thank the team for our journey together and for the success which we have shared with everyone at Trigoria.

I would also like to thank the fans who, in a delicate moment of my sporting and Romanista life, paid attention to me.

Montella, who just retired as a player in 2009, now takes over as caretaker manager until Roman Abramovich sacks Carlo Ancelotti.


Comments